The Missus Reads 2015 Book Awards

Disclaimer: A VERY LATE POST. Hahahaha.

Okay, I have time for a quick post. I should have done this last December but life happened (and fangirling,haha!) so...

For 2015, I aimed to read 40 books. It was actually an ambitious feat for me but ta-da, I read 42! Achieve! Haha. For one, I was pregnant from May until December and since I had to go on bedrest every now and then, I pretty much had time for reading. My top picks for last year were (complete reviews which you can see at my Goodreads account - add me if you have one):




Other books I read but didn't make my year's favorite list. They were either good but I just cannot accommodate in my year's favorite read OR what-the-heck-was-that read.

Go Ask Alice (Anonymous)
The Summerhouse (Jude Deveraux)
Through the Ever Night (Veronica Rossi)
Demons of the New Year: An Anthology of Horror Fiction from the Philippines
The Private Thoughts of Amelia E. Rye (Bonnie Shimko)
Into the Still Blue (Veronica Rossi)
The Maiden (Jude Deveraux)
The Last Time I Saw Mother (Arlene Chai)
Strings Attached (Judy Blundell)
Gathering Blue (Lois Lowry)
The Summer I Turned Pretty (Jenny Han)
Messenger (Lois Lowry)
Son (Lois Lowry)
The Danger Box (Blue Balliett)
Irises (Francisco X. Stork)
This is What Happy Looks Like (Jennifer E. Smith)
Someone to Love (Jude Deveraux)
The Book of Jude (Kimberly Heuston)
Landline (Rainbow Rowell)
See No Evil (Jamila Gavin)
The gods in winter (Patricia Miles)
Althea and Oliver (Cristina Moracho)
Third Girl (Agatha Christie)
The 5 Love Languages of Children
The Beginning of Everything (Robyn Schneider)
Dark Life (Kat Falls)
Point of Retreat (Colleen Hoover)
Orphan Train (Christina Baker Klein)
Stargirl (Jerry Spinelli)
Tainted Love (Melody Mayer)
Rooms (Lauren Oliver)
About a Boy (Nick Hornby)
Tender Morsels (Margo Lanagan)
Speak (Laurie Halse Anderson)


For 2015, I finished the following series and here's my rating...

Never Sky Series (3.5 Stars)
(Under the Never Sky, Through the Ever Night, Into the Still Blue)
I cannot help but get the Hunger Games feels while reading the series. IMO, it would only be fair to give a concluding book that did conclude the series. I'll say this again though...I like Roar. If you ask me about this series, I'd say Roar. I'd demand a good portrayal of him in the movie. I just don't want to label this series as serious YA dystopian because I find it too mushy. Personally, I like action and depth in dystopian novels, not sensual romancing i.e., scenting tempers of hot desires.

Giver Quartet (5 Stars)
(The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger, Son)
I said in my reviews earlier that the Giver quartet will be my favorite series for this year. AND YES IT IS. Although there are some things that the quartet have not answered in the end, like, why do people with gifts always have eyes of pale blue, but I don't mind. Lowry created a simple utopian/dystopian story but with profound effect on me as a reader. A must-read series!

Slammed Series (5 Stars)(Slammed, Point of Retreat)
I want JaDine to adapt this into a movie. YES, I AM SERIOUS. Oo, hanggang dito, JaDine pa rin. Hahaha.

So far, I had a good reading year last year. For 2016, originally, I aim to read 12 books, one for each month since I am giving birth and I will have now two kids but surprisingly, I am on my 12th and 13th book. So I upped my reading goal to 20. So we'll see at the end of the year. Hehe.

For my 140 characters thoughts, follow me at Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

- FriendS -